|Breaking: Rashard Mendenhall Not A Fan of Spicy Meat...|
|Written by Cotter|
|March 31, 2010 20:29|
Short of vegetarians and the clinically insane, I always figured there wasn't a human specimen on Earth who didn't enjoy a good order of buffalo wings.
But that was until I had a chance to fire off five questions of obvious social and political import at the man, the myth, the Punisher, Rashard Mendenhall.
As it turns out, that's not the only interesting thing our boy had to say.
While he was shooting some new stuff for Champion, some people who I would now gladly take a bullet for graciously extended to me the opportunity to "interview" Rashard.
Now, I say "interview" using quotes because technically, I didn't verbally ask Mendenhall anything.
I submitted my questions to someone on the inside circle who did all the legwork for me.
But since I at least had to type them out, we'll go ahead and call it an interview.
Anyways, the five questions I asked Mendenhall were as follows...
1. What do you REALLY love about playing football?
Usually when you ask that type of generic question, you get a pretty stock answer, since these guys are media trained city. But I figured putting the word "really" in all caps would emphasize that I wanted more than a canned answer, and I think Rashard got the hint.
2. What has been your favorite NFL moment?
Obviously I'm both a creative and experienced interviewer, since that's about the most obligatory question you could ask anyone who makes their living wrestling around with other dudes trying to put a pigskin into something called an end zone.
Lay off me, I'm new to this BS.
3. I know you had some excellent blocks last year, in addition to your 1,000 yards rushing (congratulations, ps!). What does it feel like (for you) to give somebody the business?
Here's where I started to try and diversify. Everybody asks those first two, but I wanted to make sure I got a few questions in that were a little more unique to Mendenhall.
In hindsight, here's where I probably should've told him that we started referring to him affectionately last season as The Punisher. But since I only remember to do things like that five seconds after I'm supposed to, you can see I did not. I guess I'll just have to bank on Rashard reading this post in order to inform him of what we feel to be our clever little nickname.
Probably shouldn't hold my breath, though, huh?
4. Best wings in Latrobe - Dino's or Sharkey's?
There isn't a Steeler in the known universe I wouldn't ask this question. Inquiring minds must know, and I know how much you guys care about the Steelers' eating habits.
I ask because I care.
5. As I’m sure you know, former NFL running back, Emmitt Smith won Dancing With the Stars a few years back. I understand you’re an accomplished dancer, yourself. Who do you think would win in a dance-off – you or Emmitt?
Tell me you wouldn't have asked the same thing.
Now, watch this beast below and find out how Mendenhall responded.
Oh, and be sure to read the rest of this post after the video for details on an OFTOT "contest" that could net you a $100 gift certificate towards some Champion athletic gear of your own.
So, about that "contest"...here's the deal...
There are three ways you can enter...I'll start with the easiest.
1. Follow me on Twitter and Tweet, "Follow @OFTOT and RT this to win a $100 gift certificate toward some Champion athletic gear - http://bit.ly/cXUQ9f."
2. Become a fan of OFTOT on Facebook (if you aren't already) and leave a comment on the fan page wall, telling us all - "If you had to pick a song to define the 2010 Steelers offseason so far, what would it be?"
3. In a comment on this post, answer the same question.
In order to pick the winner, because I would never base a "contest" on the quality of your responses (since that's about as subjective as it gets), I'm going to throw everyone who participates through one of the means above's name in a hat and draw one who will become our big winner. The "contest" will run from the time this post goes up until next Tuesday (4/6) at 11:59 PM, and I'll be announcing the winner sometime next Wednesday afternoon.
So pick your poison and drink up!
Lastly, a big time thanks to both Champion and Rashard Mendenhall for making this all happen, and I sincerely hope you all enjoyed the video.
With that all said, I believe the floor is now yours...
If you haven't already, become a fan of OFTOT on Facebook, join the blog network and follow Cotter and Steve on Twitter. Or don't. Your choice, really.